Aircon Servicing FAQ
1. Why is the aircon operating but there isn’t any cold air (aircon not cold)?
The air conditioning system basically comprises of 2 sections. The indoor fancoil and the outdoor condenser. The indoor fancoil simply act as a blower to dissipate the cooling generated by the outdoor condenser. If there is no cool air blowing out from the indoor fancoil, the outdoor condenser might not be working. A qualified technician is needed to troubleshoot on the outdoor condenser.
2. Why is the air conditioner leaking water?
A normal air conditioner will have water condensate in the indoor fancoil and discharge through a draining pipe to the nearest drain. The Air Conditioner will start leaking water when the drainage piping is clogged / choked. General aircon servicing normally involves the vacuuming of the drain pipe which may rectify the pipe chokage.
3. Why is the room not cold enough even after the aircon been running for few hours?
There are a number of causes to this air conditioner not cold situation:
Reason 1: The indoor fancoil is dirty resulting in weak dissipation of cool air.
Reason 2: The outdoor condenser is dirty resulting in incapable of producing cooling refrigerant.
Reason 3: There may not be enough refrigerant in the air conditioning system.
Reason 4: There might be some problem with the air conditioning system resulting in non-continuous operation of he system.
Reason 5: The desired operating temperature is set too high.
Reason 6: The air conditioner installed is under-sized.
4. Why is the aircon not working?
One common reason is that the electrical power is not being supplied to the air conditioner. Perform an initial check on your electrical panel making sure that the electrical supply to the air conditioner has not trip. Upon confirmation of the availability of electrical supply, a qualified technician should be engaged to have the air conditioner repair.
5. What is the advantage of regular aircon service?
Regular service of your air conditioning equipments will provide the following benefits:
Benefit 1: The air conditioner will cool better.
Benefit 2: The electrical consumption of the air conditioning equipments will be lower.
Benefit 3: Aircon leaking will be minimize.
Benefit 4: There will be less need for aircon repair.
Benefit 5: The air con equipment lifespan will be prolonged.
6. How often should I have the air con service?
In general, it is recommended that residential air conditioners be serviced and checked every 3 months and every month for commercial air conditioner. The duration varies with different usage pattern and other environmental factors. Please seek the assessment of a qualified technician.
7. Can I do my own air con maintenance?
The basic maintenance that is recommended is the cleaning of the air filter and outer panel of the air conditioner every 2 weeks. This will helps to improve the air conditioning of the room.
8. Why is the air con noisy?
Noise is normally generated from:
a. Vibration noise resulted from dirty indoor fancoil/ outdoor condenser.
b. Noisy draft resulted from dirty indoor fancoil.
c. Loose mounting of component in the air conditioning system.
d. Faulty parts in the air conditioning system.
9. Why is the air con smelly?
The smell comes from bacteria formed by microbes in the warm dark humid environment in the indoor fancoil unit. Sometimes when the smell is very bad you may need a more intensive chemical treatment to rectify this problem.
10. Why does the air con needs chemical cleaning / chemical washing?
Chemical overhaul/cleaning is a very thorough way of cleaning the air conditioner. When an air conditioner is badly clogged/ choked and a general service can’t improve the condition, an overhaul is necessary. In an overhaul, the air conditioner is dismantle part by part and chemically wash.
11. Why must the fancoil unit be dismantle for chemical cleaning / chemical washing instead of inserting a water tray to wash away the chemical?
By dismantling the fan coil unit, the air conditioning individual components can be washed thoroughly. This will help better clean the unit and also not leaving behind chemical residue that may leas to the corrosion of the fan coil.
12. What types of air con do your company service?
We provide services for different types and brands of air conditioner. The following are some example:
1. Window air conditioner
2. Casement air conditioner
3. Residential split air conditioner
4. Commercial air conditioner (Daikin VRV system)
13. What type of air con services do your company provide?
We provide a full range of air con service. The following are the list:
1. Aircon servicing / Aircon maintenance
2. Regular contract maintenance
3. Chemical overhaul
4. Chemical cleaning / Chemical flushing
5. Installation of air conditioning system
6. Aircon repair
7. Evaluate and advice
Please refer to our Services for more information.
14. What should I look for when engaging an air con company (aircon contractor)?
When engaging an air conditioning company (air conditioning contractor), you should go for a company that is established and reliable. Find out their profile and experience and their after service warranty.
For more information on our company profile, please visit our about us page
15. What should be done if there is a air conditioner refrigerant gas leaking problem?
If your air conditioning system has a refrigerant gas leak problem, simply adding of refrigerant gas (R22 / R410) is not a solution. A trained technician should perform pressure testing to trace and repair the leakage point. Upon completion of leaking repair, a correct amount of refrigerant gas should be top up.
16. What is the advantage of Air Purifying Filter and how often do we have to replace it?
Most new model of air conditioner comes with air purifying filter. Air Purifying Filter can remove smoking odour, human smell, impurities and harmful particles in the air condition space. Its recommended that the purifying filter is replaced every three to six months. Or the color of purifying filter (originally white color) is changed to dark brown or black. Leaving dirty air purifying filter in the air conditioning system will affect its cooling performance.
17. Do we need to service the Condenser (outdoors) ? If, yes, how often?
You need to service the condenser (outdoor air conditioning unit) at least once a year to make sure the air circulation of the unit is not blocked. It can affect the cooling efficiency, a shorter compressor life and higher electrical consumption. Sometimes, it is subjected to environmental condition, which requires a qualified technician to give recommendations.
18. Why does ice-forms on the copper pipes of the condenser (outdoor)?
There are 2 possibilities. Ice-forming on the discharged pipe is due to insufficient gas in the system. Ice-formation on the suction pipe could be caused by a dirty fancoil unit or, a dirty filter or, the indoor unit blower is not rotating.
19. Why is the air con switches OFF by itself and the aircon indicator light is blinking / flashing ?
The blinking / flashing of indicator light indicate that there is a fault with the air conditioning system. Hence the air conditioner switches off by itself. A qualified technician is needed to diagnose and repair the fault. As this is a protective function to prevent the air conditioner from further damage, it is not advisable to do a electrical power reset to get the aircon temporary working. Continue operation might further damage the air conditioning system.
20. Why is the air con switches ON and OFF by itself ?
There is a fault with the indoor electronic circuit board. The circuit board controls the operation of the indoor fancoil and damage causes it to lose its operational control. A repair or replacement of the circuit board is necessary.
21. Why is the air conditioner cannot be switch ON using the remote control ?
The fault might lies in the remote controller or the indoor printed circuit board. Try the remote controller on other fancoil and if it work, your remote controller is fine. If the fault lies in the printed circuit board, you need to engage a qualified technician to do repair on the printed circuit board.
22. What is pressure testing of air conditioning system and why it is needed?
When the refrigerant gas in an air conditioning system depletes away and the air conditioner needs to regularly top up refrigerant gas, we can suspect that there is air conditioning refrigerant leaking in the system. Pressure testing work will help to identify which is the leakage area. Normally high pressure is induced into the condenser, fancoil and refrigerant piping to identify where is the leakage. Further repair work will be quoted upon identifying the leakage area.
23. Can faulty aircon printed circuit board (PCB) be repair instead of replacing new circuit board?
Faulty air conditioner circuit board (PCB) can be repair in most cases. Many companies lacks the knowledge as well as are unwilling to spend time and effort on repair and testing of the circuit board. Its definitely less time consuming to replace a new circuit board. However the cost of replacing new circuit board is much more expensive. Yong He Aircon is among the few aircon companies in Singapore that provide circuit board repair services. We are committed to cost saving for our customer.
We have succesfully repaired serveral Toshiba fancoil circuit board for model of RAS-10NK; RAS-10SK; RAS-10UK which is no longer in production as well as several air conditioner circuit board from popular brands like Mitsubishi , Daikin, Sanyo, LG, Panasonic etc.
24. What are the air conditioning service deals and promotion currently offering?
Currently we have tied up with Citibank for aircon servicing deals and promotion. Customer of Citibank coporate card holder stand to enjoy discount on general air con servicing price. Service vouchers are also given. Please visit our services page for more details. Terms & conditions apply and for a limited period only.
Aircon Installation Questions:
1. What should I consider when choosing an air conditioner for my premise?
The following are some factors you should consider when choosing an air conditioning system.
1. Determine the size of the area for which the air conditioner is require to cool.
2. Determine the cooling capacity required (refer to question 2 under this section).
3. Determine the brands and types of air conditioning you prefer.
4. Workout and compare your budget.
2. How to determine the cooling capacity (aircon BTU) require for a room?
An estimate calculation of cooling capacity for a room:
Area of Room [ Length (ft) x Width (ft) ] x 65 = “Cooling Capacity” BTU/Hr
Example: Room size is 12ft by 12ft. Cooling Capacity = (12ft x 12ft) x 65 = 9,360 BTU/hr
3. What are the brands that your company carry?
Our company carries a range of air conditioning brands. The following are some:
1. Daikin Air Conditioner
2. Mitsubishi Air Conditioner
3. Carrier Air Conditioner
4. Sanyo Air Conditioner
5. Panasonic Air Conditioner
6. Toshiba Air Conditioner
7. Fujitsu Air Conditioner
8. LG Air Conditioner
9. Samsung Air Conditioner
10. Sharp Air Conditioner
4. What is an inverter air conditioner?
An inverter air conditioning system has a variable speed compressor as compared to non-inverter air conditioners. The rotation speed frequency is regulated intelligently to meet specific cooling load requirement. Power consumption is thus more efficient.
5. What is the warranty on a new air conditioning system ?
The general warranty given by most manufactures for residential aircon units are one (1) year on general parts and five (5) years on compressor. Please contact the respective manufactures to confirm their warranty.
6. Can the existing R22 refrigerant piping be reuse for the new R410 aircon system?
The new R410 refrigerant compressor uses a different type of compressor lubricating oil. If piping is reuse, there could be a mixing of the oils which may lead to change in its properties. This could lead to possible breakdown of compressor. A cleaning must be carry out if piping is to be reuse.